Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 05:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Happy Birthday!
Members Rides
Deb's Legacy

Posted by dahuffy on 09 Jun 2007

in
Members Rides

Viewed 2010 times
640w X 480h
42534 bytes
ACD Menu
  Main Menu
   Home
   Forums
   Downloads
   ACD Calendar
   ACD Links

Member Gallery
   GV250 Mods
   GV650 Mods
   JP Spyder Mods
   Articles
   Reviews
   The Lounge

The Long Ride
   In Memorium

Qwik Links
   Hyosung Korea
   Hyosung Aus.
   Hyosung U.S.A.
   Hyosung Canada
   KYMCO Global
   KYMCO U.S.A.
   Royal Enfield
   Royal Enfield U.S.
   Moto Guzzi
   QLINK Motors
   Johnny Pag
   CFMoto (slow)
   CF Moto - US

Friends Of ACD
   Manufacturers
   Dealers
   Helpful Sites

ACD Language Tools
   Espa?ol
   Fran?ais
   Deutsch
   Portugu?s
   Русский язык
Recent Topics
by Jae
[December 18, 2014, 08:24:36 AM]

[December 16, 2014, 07:55:21 AM]

[December 15, 2014, 10:23:13 PM]

by Jae
[December 15, 2014, 08:56:07 AM]

[December 15, 2014, 07:41:36 AM]

[December 14, 2014, 09:52:45 AM]

by nir
[December 14, 2014, 04:08:35 AM]

[December 11, 2014, 08:34:21 AM]

[December 09, 2014, 02:48:43 PM]

[December 08, 2014, 09:02:23 PM]
Member Articles
Article Submission

Translate!
Im Translator, Online translator, spell checker, virtual keyboard, cyrillic decoder
Member Quotes
The sun in your face and the wind in your hair is always such good medicine. -- couion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Kikker 5150 Project - HardKnock 250 V-Twin Build thread  (Read 45702 times)
Thompson
ACD Regulars

« on: January 29, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »

So some of you may remember a few months back when I said I bought a new Kikker 5150 kit bike.  The one I bought is the 250 HardKnock prototype Kikker made a while back.  I got it from one of the dealers, Micks Customs.  It has a Lifan 250 V-Twin engine and the frame is a bit longer and taller.

I decided to start a new thread to document the progress on this build.

I will also add a few details as I go along on getting these bikes into Costa Rica, getting them through customs and registering them, in case someone else here wants to get one.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin

Getting it into Costa Rica was a pain in the arse by itself.  My family has an imports business, and we use a freight consolidator located in Miami to forward our stuff to Costa Rica.  So I thought I'd save up a few bucks by having the knock shipped together with the rest of the stuff we import...  BIG MISTAKE!!!  Angry

I asked Mick to send the bike to Miami.  The shipper we regularly deal with had no idea what was needed to get a vehicle into the country, and were definitely not helpful figuring it out.  They started asking for Engine and VIN (frame/serial) numbers.  So far, we're good.  

Then they asked for a TITLE.  This bike is new, unassembled, and was never even registered!  How the he** do I get a title just to export it?   Undecided  Shocked

As stupid as that sounds, they were not interested... no title, no shipping.  Oh, and to make it even worse, they said the invoice needed to be notarized!  Angry Angry Angry Huh Huh Huh

Spent 2 days reading all I could find on importing vehicles and getting them through customs.  They didn't care what I said.  No title, no shipping.... so after ~2 months going back and forth with no results, I changed shipper. 10 days later, I got my 250 at home

Here's what you really need:

1 Invoice (better if it states engine and frame/VIN #s, no need to notarize!)
1 MSO    (BINGO! next big problem!)

I did get an MSO from Mick.  Now, I've never seen an MSO before, since they are only required for Customs here in Costa Rica  police police, but not for registration i believe, however, what I got from Mick looks waaay different from the MSO pics I've seen on the Kikker Forum.  Tongue
Either way, it did the trick and got me through customs.  As long as I bet my bike, I don't care, and I don't want to know.   Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

So this is me and my dad finally picking it up from customs

The best is yet to come...
I'll add some more details of all the road blocks I've found along the way... in a few minutes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:11:17 PM by Thompson » Logged

2009 Kikker 5150 HardKnock - 250cc
2010 Harley Davidson Sportster Iron

ADAM BAUM
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »

Vtwin in a kikker.  Sounds like a winner!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:31:47 PM by ACD_Bill » Logged
ACD_Bill
Administrator

Winged Member of the HS Club.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »

I've always liked that V-Twin design. Lifan, and Yamaha before them, made it so easy to change the sparks.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:31:58 PM by ACD_Bill » Logged

Thompson
ACD Regulars

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:13 PM »

Vtwin in a kikker.  Sounds like a winner!

Yeah, I think so too.   Cool
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:49:10 PM by Thompson » Logged

Thompson
ACD Regulars

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 01:41:22 PM »

Ok, I've been working on this for a while now, so I've made some progress... I'll give you the "fast forward" update.

SO I finally got the bike home after the pain of getting it into the country and started laying all the parts out... next big problem:  some parts were lost/stolen during shipping.  Cry

You can see how the boxes were all bashed up and opened at the first shipper's warehouse   Angry Sad
Those bastards...  Cry

This is what was missing

No shifter (foot or suicide)
No forks, no risers  
No steering bearings
No bolt to attach the foot rests  

... da**, no freaking front end!  Shocked

No blinkers
No speedo   (both needed to get it street legal)
No intake

The neck bolt/stem I got from Mick was a stock one for a 200 HK, but this 250 has a longer and wider neck, so it needs a bigger bolt (both length and diameter).  Since this is a prototype, a few of the parts were one-offs so it is not as easily replaced.  That is the case with the stem bolt, the intake and the long bolt that holds both foot rests at the front.

Here, you can see how a stock 200 stem is too short  Embarrassed

Also, the rear brake on this 250 is different than the 200's.  On the 200's, a rod connects the pedal to a pump that bolts at the back, which actuates the brake.  The master cylinder is also at the back, like this:

Well, since the controls are further out to the sides on the 250, the brake pedal doesn't align with the pump, so Kikker bolted the pump to the down tube and used a set of levers to actuate it.  All of that set up was missing too.

Finally, as you can see, the original Lifan intake puts the carb on top of the engine, right where the frame is.  

I need an intake that puts the carb to the side, where the frame is not in the way, and a gas pump is not needed like the Viragos use to push the gas back up to the carb.  Such intake, which was a one-off... was also lost in the way.  So now I need to figure out a way to fab one.

I'm planning on making one out of copper tubing and silver soldering the parts   Grin Shocked
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:49:24 PM by Thompson » Logged

Thompson
ACD Regulars

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »

Next steps:

- start building what I do have
- buy those parts that are not one-offs again (forks, risers, etc)
- Figure out a way to make the one-offs

Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Me and my dad started by making a nice working bench for the build. Then we bolted up the engine, which came held by just 1 of the bolts

The frame's paint was scuffed at some places, so I had to go over the frame with some Rust-Oleum Flat Black

The original tins that came with this bike were not looking too good:

So Mick was kind enough to swap them for a set of brand new gray tins when I bought the bike. The problem is, since the frame is a bit different from the 200 one, the tins don't quite line up:

Gas Tank:

Rear Fender:

Not a problem, just drill the necessary holes. For the rear fender, I got a longer bolt and a spacer to make up for the gap.

While waiting for the new parts ordered, I went ahead and lined the oil can on the inside with some adhesive vinyl, red-koted the gas tank, put oil in the engine, bought a battery and some copper tubing for the intake.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:49:39 PM by Thompson » Logged

Thompson
ACD Regulars

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »

Next stop: Steering!

Kelly (Kikker) found one of the tapered bearings he used for the steering laying around in his shop, and he sent it to me.  Thanks Kelly   Grin Wink

With that one in hand, I was barely able to read the serial # and look it up on ebay.  Bingo! found a matching one and bought it.

I was now able to get exact measurements to get a custom neck bolt made at a shop near my work.
This is a big a** bolt (compared to the 200's)!  17 inches long and 20mm diameter.  I also had to have the lower tree drilled out because it was off a stock 200, therefore the big A** bolt didn't go through.  
Needs a wider hole   Tongue

I'll post some pics and updates tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:50:23 PM by Thompson » Logged

Dragon
Discussion Moderator

We have cookies....join the Empire today!

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 03:47:44 PM »

Isn't fabrication fun and exciting?  Grin
*Ducks the wrenches*

Just razzin. Great report, do continue.  Smiley

I don't have Anger Management issues...
People just need to stop P***'ing me off. ;o)
Icedog
Discussion Moderator

"Tasted Important"..."I'm BATDOG"

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 05:36:08 PM »

Looking good, coming along nicely despite the setbacks. I would make one comment though, making the intake manifold out of copper may work but on a V engine there is a risk of air leaks over time due to differing expansion rates - just something to keep in mind, I realise you don't really have much choice at this point.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog and a mother willing to let him have one" - Robert Benchley
Thompson
ACD Regulars

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »

I realise you don't really have much choice at this point.

Wink  Cry

Yup, that's the problem.  A couple of other guys in the Kikker forum have done this 250 V conversion on their rides, and this is how they went about the intake issue.  They posted lots of details on their fabricated intake, which I'm using as reference.  One of them has had the bike for a bit more than a year like this and it is going strong, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Either way, I believe Kikker may be coming out with a production 250 as well, so when that time comes, I can buy from him whatever intake he is putting in the production ones, if mine starts to fall apart  Grin
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:50:50 PM by Thompson » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

The views expressed by individuals are the views of those individuals only and do not represent those of the Owner or Staff of AlternativeCruisers.com. All original content copyright AlternativeCruisers.com 2005-2011.